Thursday 28 August 2008

SP Question 12

I'm sure most of us have a proudest moment when it comes to knitting. A project or technique that you've tackled and completed beautifully. What is your proudest knitting moment??
Hmmm... A difficult one, this. I was going to say the Shetland baby shawl that I knitted before my daughter was born in 1982. Heavily pregnant, I knelt on the floor to block it! I should have a photo somewhere but I need a scanner...
Or it could be the complicated picture sweater I made for my cousin's son (who very recently graduated in Law in the Cayman Islands!) in 1989. It was an underwater picture with tropical fish, underwater flora, sunken treasure and a diver swimming down the sleeve.
Or perhaps it was the first shawl I ever knitted, for my niece's christening in 1975 (one day I'll get all these photos on here).
And on the flip side? What is the one thing that you can't get right? What is that one project that you've never been able to complete? Or that you did complete but then hid away instantly because it was too embarrassing?
I've never quite got the hang of crocheting. I would like to have the time to try it out properly sometime.
I have a big Aran cardi that I started in 2004 when I first moved here which I'll probably never complete. A smaller version I knitted for my grandson didn't wear well - it was cheap acrylic yarn - so I'm even less keen to spend a lot of time on it. Besides, I've aclimatised to the cold by now!
Last winter I used some cheap acrylic to knit a scarf for my grandson (he was in dire need and I couldn't afford any nice yarn) which very quickly stretched beyond belief and which has now been assigned to the bin!

No comments: